Skip to main content

"Less than the dust of the earth"



A few things that have helped me feel my own insignificance and also potential in relationship to God.

1. Dad and I hiked Provo Peak a little bit ago. This image was not taken by my but captures the view from the peak very well. As I sat there, pondering briefly between fits of my fear of heights I thought about all the folks down in the valley. All their troubles and concerns. How insignificant they are! There on the mountain I felt closer to the eternal nature of God and His creations.

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!


2. This is a clip of music from How To Train Your Dragon (2010). Trent sent me this and a few others and I have since purchased it. As I listen to this it really strikes me in way I don't really know how to describe. In the film a kid makes a big difference by breaking from his society and in doing so changes it. I am inspired by this song.



3. This clip comes from the first scene of the movie Contact (1997) and is a beautiful illustration of how huge space is. I feel pretty small.


Comments

  1. Good connections going on here. You really are thinking and transferring. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping up the posts G-- great to get some insight into your world this way!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...