Skip to main content

Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability | Video on TED.com

Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability | Video on TED.com

I stubbled across this video due to a supplementary option in my training at Freshman Mentoring. We were also asked to read a chapter from a book about Mindsets. The main focus was on vulnerability and how that is both the center of shame, fear, and depression as well as the springboard to security, joy, and a wholesome life.

The Woman in the video shares her findings from over six years of intensive research. She said that those who were happy and who felt accepted and loved were the same in every way to those who didn't, except they felt like they were worth loving. This sense of worthiness enabled them to have the courage to be imperfect, and they were willing to let go of who they thought they should be so they could really become who they were. They embraced vulnerability. These people were willing to let their true selves be seen and to love with everything they could with out guarantee.

Folks from the other spectrum tended to try and numb the dark emotions that result from suppressing vulnerability. Unfortunately this numbing leads to a numbing of all other emotions which results in increased vulnerability and the cycle continues. These people always try to make the uncertain certain. She talked about how blame and accusations are results of shame and self deprecation. Ultimately she stated that one can't practice compassion for others if you can't even treat yourself with some kindness.

I think she has some great points! She takes a position that makes a lot of sense. I want to do better at facing vulnerability in my life and rather than trying to plan it all to a T to make myself feel like my uncertain future is fully certain, I hope to appreciate the experiences of trial and growth that come from putting myself out there in search of a good cause.

If you wanna watch the video it is about 20 minutes and is not boring. She takes the name of the Lord in vain 2 times, and cusses 1 other time just so you know.

Comments

  1. Interesting that I ran into this about the same time you did but independently. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it-- makes you a bit vulnerable to do a blog doesn't it? In a good way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - yup! That is neat you found this too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...