Skip to main content

O.T.: Our Town


            
           This evening I watched O.T.: Our Town, a documentary about high school students in Compton putting on Wilder's classic play at an institution where no drama event has been held in over 20 years.   A few things stood out to me about the film including the excellent characters, the unique commentary on the human condition, and the filmmaker's ability to raise the stakes.
            The students and teachers that are pictured in O.T. were very dynamic and interesting. I appreciate the filmmakers avoiding trying to classify each student into a group such as  "jocks" or a "nerds".  Instead a very honest and genuine portrait was captured as the filmmakers followed individual students into their homes and interacted with their family and friends. The insight and voice of the students themselves made this film worth watching, and that aspect is something no narrator could offer.
            Though near the end of the film things felt a little too didactic, I enjoyed the general theme about the human attributes that connect our whole society. It was really neat to see how the students learned and adapted the play to make meaning, and was a testimony to me of the power of great literature to survive not only time but transcend culture and other differences. The commentary and insight into the human condition in O.T. makes this one of my favorite documentaries I have seen to date.
            The last thing I noticed in watching this film was how the filmmakers were constantly raising the stakes. At first I thought they were doing a great job, but by the end (the intermission of the final performance) I felt that things were starting to feel a little too contrived. It is a difficult skill to balance story structure in non-fiction work, and though I don't think the filmmakers did a terrible job, I would have appreciated less dramatic moments that begged the question: but will they succeed? This was a great film, and though I did feel a little manipulated by the constant raising of the stakes and the dramatic and obvious connections to the human condition I still feel the story and characters were worth watching and learning about. 

Comments

  1. Great to see something on the old Gray report again! I must admit I'm a little lost in all the other things you're putting out there but am working my way through them a bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film sounds interesting in that it avoids the stereotypes that other films make for the sake of simplicity. Usually all the people we know can't be so easily categorized, and even in high school there wasn't clear and cut lines between peoples with similar interests. Glad to see this film went the high road, even it did get a little preachy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you mentioned that you got tired of the heightened stakes in this film. Usually audiences love dramatic tension and crave those "will they succeed?" moments. But I totally understand that it gets a little tired when there are excessive amounts of those moments. Whenever I watch movies that have too much dramatic moments, I find myself getting annoyed at the movie because I really just want to find out how things turn out for the characters (and not in a good way). The overuse of dramatic moments, I feel, actually kill the tension in the movie because it leaves the audience impatient. Cool analysis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...