Skip to main content

It's a Celebration!

Today is a pretty special day for our family. It is our two year anniversary AND Hinckley is one month old! (Thank goodness H was born on the 12th instead of the 11th or 13th because Greg and I already have a hard time remembering the day of our anniversary!)

What have we been doing the last month? It has been quite busy and anything but ordinary. We left my parents' house in Colorado and officially finished our move to Tulsa two weeks after Hinckley's birth. That was a relief and a welcome end to our crazy summer! Or so I thought...

It turns our that moving to another state in the same month you have a baby is not that easy. I didn't even think twice about it because I have moved so much in the past. However, we still have several unpacked boxes sitting around the house. Some of the administrative things that keep us busy: apartment problems, buying a car, registering our cars and getting OK licenses, getting health insurance, finding a doctor for Hinckley, getting furniture, etc.We have strategically planned most of these tasks so Hinckley was sleeping when we had to do them. I'm pretty proud of our planning skills as far as that goes. :) Luckily, Hinckley LOVES his car seat and car trips; that seems to be one of the easiest ways to calm him down. On top of all of that, though, Greg has had training for work and a lot to do before the first day of school starts. However, the biggest reason we still have unpacked boxes: it takes a lot of time to be a good parent! 

Hinckley is one month old and I am beginning to realize that there are challenges with every age and phase. The good news is he sleeps at night now! The bad news is that he is really gassy, so he is really fussy. :( He does not like to lay on his back; I think it causes his stomach more pain. In fact, he is really only calm if someone is holding him. I spend much of my day holding him. It is really flattering to be loved so much! :) It also makes it really difficult to do very many things. 

Focusing of the positive: I try to remember what a special privilege it is to have a little baby. Hinckley will only be this small for a little while. There is something incredibly endearing about his helplessness and innocence! The other day my mom told me, "Just enjoy it because soon enough he will be five years old. You will be taking him to school and he will say to you, 'Don't kiss me because I don't want to be embarrassed.'"

With that in mind, right now we are enjoying our little baby boy. Look how small he looks in the following photo of Greg and him--so tiny it looks like we used photoshop!


 
Hmm...Hinckley does kind of look like Greg!


 
My monkey baby--Hinckley loves to cling to my shirt to help him fall asleep.


 
Almost a smile! It is a special occasion when he cracks a smile, but it has happened! AND he has even laughed at my funny faces. :)


Just chillin' on the Boppy.

He loves his car seat! If you have every seen the movie Temple Grandin--the car seat is like his squeeze machine.

Bath time! Another one of Hinckley's (and his mom's) favorite events.


Comments

  1. Yay, thanks for helping us celebrate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little guy! So glad to see you doing well and all together. We moved twice in the first month of Paige's life and it was more difficult than I could ever have imagined! I feel for you. Luckily, the boxes aren't going anywhere;). You guys look great. Thanks for being one of the best home teachers we have ever had. Our family really needed it this past year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...