Skip to main content

Elizabethtown: a layman's chickflick

I didn't really know what to expect going into this movie. Kassie had told me the basic plot, but I was a little hesitant about seeing Legolas and MJ in a chick flick. As it turns out, it wasn't as much of a chick flick as I thought. How would one define a chick flick? Well, next semester in theory I am sure I could tell you in a more professional way but I think it goes something like.

Character A wants a boy/girl. A meets B. B and A have a series of growing relationship building experiences. A finds out some horrible thing about B (or somehow there is a falling out of sorts). A finds out that that horrible thing is not true, or they get over it, and it is resolved. In the end A gets B and they get married, or are re-united.

I can say this, because I have seen this pattern multiple times (Pride and Prejudice, Hitch, 10 things I hate about you, Win a Date With Tad Hamilton, Shallow Hal, Notting Hill, etc etc etc). I am not saying it is bad per se, because the movies I really like (all of them) follow similar patterns on the hero's journey and so forth.

So keeping this in mind, I was pleasantly surprised that this film was not about couples cohabiting and all that as it was about learning to find joy in life. Maybe it wasn't so much about that even, but the ability to see life as the blessing that it really is and how things such as family, relationships, history, and human fellowship are the things that really give us the sense of belong and love that we need to get satisfaction from life.

Orlando Bloom actually doesn't always speak in a high, quick paced elvin/pirate tone, he sounded very much like a regular man. Even MJ was different than the last time I saw her when she was screeching to Peter Parker "Go get 'em tiger!" She was less obnoxiously sentimental, and more character driven and spunky. It was neat to see how the combination of these characters generated questions on the viewers mind about life outlook and experience.

Though the film almost hardly ever had a break from the continual montage sequences with contemporary pop music, I found that it was striving for righteous goals in teaching the viewer about what matters most. In this review I have done very little to actually say anything about the plot - but that is fine since there is the internet you are reading this on and all that.

Beware of some language and the regular "1 bad scene". This is a chick flick that actually isn't too chickish!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...