Skip to main content

Rango: peculiarly funny

Dad and I decided to go see Rango on the day when the hordes were off for HP. We hit the dollar theater at 1 pm, and part of the humor of the film I think was hearing Dad and me laughing hard in the almost empty theater. It seems not another soul made a squeak.

The film was pretty amazing visually - and I highly enjoyed all the western themes that were alluded to. Perhaps that is what made it so funny for me was that I have seen a fair amount of westerns and so the cliches that I love and the characters that are so recognizable were just a delight to watch in this creative fashion. Everything was there for the story to be complete in terms of the Hero's journey. The wise old latin armadillo, the tests and allies and reluctance to the call. The threshold and the belly of the beast were there
to. It worked according to the formula and that made it all the more enjoyable for me. The music and the great montage scenes were very fun and I just never got sick of the innovative humor.

The one thing that drove me nuts the whole time was Rango's neck. I looks broken I just kept wanting to snap it back in place. He is a lizard, it is true - but Kassie I don't think you would like this even though there aren't really any talking mice (that speak to humans).

This was a lot of fun, and I am glad I went with Dad for it. However, I won't suggest it for too young of kids. I was surprised by some of the language and the innuendo. It is not a super scandalous film or anything - but it just might not be for your kids at this time in their development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...