Skip to main content

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket.

The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike.

Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter?

Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers.

Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days.

Drip once, drip twice on the floor.

The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanut butter connect as spoon and fork fall together into their cage. The green light is on. If it wasn’t for the green stained cup you’d think the dishes where clean. But they are.

What makes spinach leaves stick like that?

When my hand moves up, lifting the metal, then the water comes down. Warm. Like the shell of an old turtle it appears that bowl will work. Honey oozing out of that old bottle in the cupboard, the dish soap colors the quickly forming puddle. That would be gross though, eating dish soap.

Do I really hate washing? Maybe it is drying. Or niether.

The spatula is being rebellious. It failed to flip the omelet and now the egg, cheese, and sprinkles of garlic are at one with the old melted rubber.

The yard is gold. Kids are playing outside. I guess they are playing. A cheerio is stuck to my foot, but only for a moment. The unpleasant crunch follows and the particles of multi grain fall between my toes. The wet rag is comparable to a dead leaf in the gutter during autumn. It smells like the first gerbil cage I ever tended. A perfect ‘U’ shape the rag slowly goes limp as it is exposed to the running water.

Dip, scrub, rinse.

This cheese is impossible. It had better soak.

Dip, scrub, rinse.

The dog continues to sleep. If it wasn’t for the rush of water from the sink I could hear the almost imperceptible voices of the plumbing system upstairs. Oh too hot! Hand down, water off. Holding my breath, biting my lip. Hand up, water on.

Dip, scrub, rinse.

Hidden carrot peels reveal themselves in a container labeled “cottage cheese.” Friendly breadcrumbs and avocado shells accompany the handful to the garbage. Under the sink.

Dip, scrub, rinse.

Ok, time for the cheese.

It comes off easily. Sort of like when you go out to your car early on a winter morning. You see the windows covered in ice (or so you think) and your windshield wiper slides it off on the first try. Just slush. Huh, cheesy slush.

Seven Eleven won’t go for that.

Dip, scrub, rinse.

All in, all done. Just the final bowl. Turning over the large bowl the brown soapy water spills out. The drain drinks it heavily, belching and struggling for breath. A chunk of old thickened tomato soup fights back, resisting the final descent to the inevitable thrashing. Sticking my finger in I force the thing downwards. A flick at the wall and the churning of metal jaws roar. The soup is devoured instantly.

Dip, scrub. And then rinse. My fingers are wrinkly.

It always goes quicker then I expected.

The gold is far gone. Moths flap for the light. Crickets groan their same tasteless note. The dog is off his blanket. The garage is still empty.

Well…

Yes, I go to the wall. In the silence only the persistent cricket and the whispering of the upstairs plumbing seem to desire communication. There really isn’t much to say back. Down goes the hand, the lights are off.

Comments

  1. Was this for a class or just the real you emerging from the kitchen of life? I loved the descriptions and could see it all in my mind, especially since I've been there with you at such moments but also because you really made it come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this wasn't for a class, I reckon it was something to write about from my own experience…I am trying to write everyday and as I do so I will have an assorted amount of things posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes Grey. That was SO good! That is EXACTLY how it is. Wow! And you described it so well! You didn't tell me you were a poet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of cozy thinking we may be doing dishes at the same time as each other Grey! I totally dig your cheese slush idea. So true--after employing the soaking method. I am jealous of your garberator-thingy --the grinder of the "soup". DOn't have them up here in Canada. have to make drippy trips to the garbage which is NOT under the sink. Love the imagery of the golden outside. A window above a kitchen sink is an absolute MUST.
    keep up the writing G!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Grey. You must live with some pretty schooozie people to leave you with such a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha - nay, not a mess - just normal stuff I reckon. Yes Rach I think windows above the sink are very important for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up