Skip to main content



Stranded: I come from the plane that crashed in the Mountains - 9/10

This film was made about three years ago. It is a documentary that follows a Uruguayan rugby team that crashes in the Andes on their way to Chile. After spending two months stranded, two of the company successfully found help and the 16 survivors of the flight were safe.

This was a powerful film. The survivors were the ones doing all the commentary. There was no narrator, no script, and the use of original footage and pictures helped bring the story to life. It was so captivating to watch the brutal story
of their survival. Many things they were saying reminded me of Elder Groberg's thoughts he had after the hurricane on his mission. The idea of death was hopeful, peaceful, and he felt close to God and at one with everything around him. Living was a chore, and he only lived because of what needed to be done for others around him. This was a stirring film for me and I got extra credit in spanish!


Goal! The Dream Begins - 6/10

The title gives away the reason I didn't rate this as high as I was originally going thinking I would. It was a bit predictable, cheesy and obvious. Never the less, I was stunned with the cinematography and the huge money shots throughout the movie. The story is the classic American dream - except it doesn't really happen in America. Santiago is an illegal immigrant who is super good at soccer. A former scout for the English premier leagues notices him and then - you guessed it - he goes on to do great things and is very happy.

The soccer scenes were really neat and they captured the love of the game pretty well I thought. Also there was some good material about what attention can do to one's pride and how that affects everything that really matters. I enjoyed it overall though it didn't really encourage deep thinking. It didn't have to though for it to be worth it. I am thinking I will see the sequel someday - but not too terribly soon.

Il Postino (The Postman) 10/10

Though I give it a ten, it wasn't perfect. But I figure some films really do deserve what they are trying to attain. Il Postino is an Italian film that follows a very simple son of a fisherman. He doesn't have a job or really a sense of direction and after some scolding from his quiet father he decides to be a postman. The only house on his route is the great Chilean poet who has recently been exiled because of his communist tendencies. The postman befriends him and in a very innocent and loving way the poet helps the postman with his love life, and self achievement and purpose.

I won't give the end away but it was very powerful as I thought about themes of friendship and memories. This story has a great romance about it but I don't think that that is the main focus. There are deeper things running here and I would love a discussion with anyone that has thoughts about it. It is simply a wonderful film. Il Postino cost about 3 million to make and brought in roughly 21 million. While Goal! took 10 million to make and only made about 4 million. This is a perfect example of how you don't need super amazing shots and star cameos from David Beckem to have a good story.

Comments

  1. It has been 10 years or so since I saw this film but I remember really liking it and feeling happy to see it. What do you see as the deeper themes? At first glance, it kind of seems like the film is endorsing Communism and having no sense of direction or purpose in life but to enjoy nature and poetry. But does the film shift that view? How? Should it? What are your views about the issues the film raised for you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up