Skip to main content

A New Perspective

Well, I (Kassie) got into a car accident last week. Luckily, no people were hurt, but our car sure was. The front passenger's side of the car banged up and the front wheel was ripped of the axle. So I won't have a car for a few weeks until it is fixed. We have been functioning with just Greg's car since the accident, which is a whole adventure in and of itself (It likes to play this unpredictable game of quitting when it stopped too long.). How do I feel about all of this? Not too happy at all. Even so, it certainly puts things into perspective.

When the crash happened, I just remember feeling and hearing the crunch. Then I heard Hinckley screaming. The first thing I could think to do was make sure he was okay. His car seat was twisted and he was crying louder than I have ever heard. I undid his belts and pulled him out of the seat and just held him. As soon as I did that, he calmed down and seemed fine. I was so SO grateful that it didn't seem like there was any harm to him. In fact, I think he forgot about the incident rather quickly because the rest of the day seemed to go pretty normally for him. He cooed and smiled and cried and avoided sleep, just like he always does.

Just Living the Life

It wasn't until after I had calmed Hinckley down that I remembered I had just gotten into a wreck. As I held him, I surveyed the car. It didn't look good. And it had to be towed away because I obviously couldn't drive it, seeing as it was now a three-wheeled car. None of this really mattered to me at the time, though. I must have been too shocked by the situation to get mad about it because I really was not that upset. All I could think is that it really could have been so much worse.

Our car, being towed away

It shouldn't take an event like this to put things into perspective, but that is what it did for me. It helped me remember that there are more important things in life than things. Yes, my car was ruined, but it is just a car. It is just a bunch of metal and plastic pieces put together. If you think about it, it is really weird that we car so much for these things sometimes. No man-made thing really matters at all. Greg and I don't have many nice things and there have been many times that I wished we did. When all is said and done, though, these objects don't mean a thing. Worldly goods never last--they break, get out-dated, and go out-of-style. An object cannot last forever. However, people and relationships do last forever. This incident reminded me that I should care more for the people around me and less for the things around me. I should ask, "Who can I help?" rather than "What can I buy?" The happiest people are those who have good relationships--family and friends.



We have had A LOT of things happen this year. Greg graduated, we were separated through the summer and the last of my pregnancy, a new baby, moving halfway across the country, a difficult job, a frustrating apartment, and so much more. It seems like every time we think we have reached the top of our challenges, there are more in store for us. With that in mind, it is easy to look at everything cynically and get overwhelmed. However, we have had many wonderful, great things happen as well. For FHE, Greg and I wrote a list of all the things that we have been complaining about since the summer started and then we wrote a list of all the things that happened during this time that we should be grateful for. Sure enough, our list of good things was longer than our list of bad things. The good list has a lot of little things on it, but I just want to mention two huge blessings that trump everything else of this time. First, we have felt the support and love of family and friends greater than any other time in our lives. Second, Hinckley is healthy and his delivery was free from complications. Because of these two simple facts, we really don't have any reason to complain about anything else.



Anyway, I will end this post with some pics of H because he exudes the joy of life.


The Pied Piper?


True Joy




Comments

  1. Thank you for your reflections! It is amazing when there is an accident or another such trauma, that we really do feel grateful that we still have one another. So grateful Hinckley is ok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up