Skip to main content

Plant-Strong Diet: The Next Phase

Oh how I love the month of May! In my opinion, it is one of the best months. school winds down...not that that affects us much these days. Usually things have warmed up by May, but it is not deathly hot yet. And the flowers are out and it is green and it rains and the birds are singing again. Allergy season seems to wind for me, so I feel like I can breathe and be alive again. May always seems to be filled with excitement for the upcoming summer and sometimes the anticipation of fun is just as exciting as the events themselves. So, I was very happy when it became May 1st and I could say, "It's May Day," even though I really have no idea what that even means.

Avocado Pasta Bean Salad
In January we decided we would try a whole-food plant-based diet for three months. Well, in the middle of April we completed what we think was a successful three months. we cut out oil, refined sugar, meat, dairy, and refined flour from our diet. To replace these things, we ate more vegetables, fruits, beans, and whole grains. Was it hard? Not as hard as we thought it would be. I guess we have never been really big meat eaters because we really didn't miss the meat at all. Dairy would have been really hard to cut out, but we actually eliminated that previous to this diet since we are both slightly lactose-intolerant and Hinckley had problems with it during nursing. It was difficult to move to a diet of whole wheat flour and whole grains for a few weeks; it takes awhile for your digestive system to catch up, so there was a short period of indigestion. Out of everything, the hardest thing to eliminate was sugar. It is amazing how addicted we, as Americans, are to sugar and we don't even know it. It is seriously in everything--from bread to juice it is in pretty much every processed food. I still have days were I just want something sweet, even after three months without refined sugar. On those days I eat some raisins or oatmeal with coconut in it.

Grilled Veggies with Mashed Potato/Sweet Potato 
African Peanut Soup with Salad

Oh, let me tell you about oatmeal...we love oatmeal at this house. Oats are very versatile; they can be eaten for breakfast, but it also cooks up and keeps things moist in muffins, granola bars, casseroles, etc. Before this diet we did not know the possibilities that oats could offer. Now Greg craves oatmeal in the middle of the day. That says a lot considering he could not eat oatmeal without brown sugar back in December.

Oatmeal Cravings Fulfilled
Anyway, I'll get off my oatmeal soapbox. We learned to love so many foods we would have never tried or liked before. After our need for sugar subsided a little, we realized that many foods have a natural goodness to them. Both of us ate tomatoes before, but didn't really appreciate them. Now, we love the taste of tomatoes. Same goes for zucchini, squash, bell peppers, cucumbers, green beans, and on and on. We branched out and tried artichokes, arugula, brussel sprouts, tofu, tempeh, etc. Who knew that lentils taste great in tacos and chickpeas taste good in everything?! Oh, and great northern beans....we were missing out before we tried them! We definitely became better cooks as we tried new recipes and learned different ways to prepare foods. Most everything can taste great, but it is all about how it is prepared. Vegetables were not my favorite food and it was hard for me to get three servings of veggies a day before. As we ate our plant-strong diet, though, we had at least five servings a day and as many as 10 servings on some days.

Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Cake (no sugar)

Thai Squash Soup
We have never had major health problems, so we didn't see a drastic difference there. However, we have seem some minor improvements. We had our cholesterol, blood sugar, heart rate, and blood pressure taken last week and all the results were great. Greg used to get headaches a lot, but he has only had one in the last few months. Also, we don't have stomachaches as much and Greg doesn't get what he calls "stinky burps"(TMI?). We have a lot of energy and we want to be active and exercise, even though we wake up at 5:30. Both of us have lost weight even though we weren't really even trying.

Family Visit to Liberty Jail, MO
Overall, it was a great experience and we are so happy we did it strictly for three months. Now, we are moving into the post-diet life. We plan on continuing a plant-strong diet for the most part. However, we do feel there might be a place for meat in our diet as long as it is sparingly. We have started using eggs again; eggs do play an important part in many recipes and we missed them. Also, we had a sesame chicken salad last night; the first time we have had animal-flesh since January. Though we do believe people can get everything they need strictly from plants, lean, natural meats are a convenient way to ensure that you get the protein and vitamin D you need. Also, food plays an important part in many holidays and special occasions. We think birthday cake is okay and a piece of pie at Thanksgiving is fine. the problem lies in having those things all the time. Sugar used to be rare and special and we want to keep it that way. It means so much more to have a special food on a special occasion if you don't have it ten other times that year! We are also a little more liberal with our use of oil while cooking.

Greg and Hinckley Looking Serious
We don't have weight issues and some healthy fats are good for a diet. In fact, there has been some debate that Greg may have lost too much weight. He is excited about his six-pack, but many people (including myself, his wife) have expressed concern about the look of his sunken jawbone and reptilian-looking spine. Feel free to weigh-in on your opinion! (No pun intended.)

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update. I think Greg looks so skinny because he's in contrast with pudge Hinckley! ;) I also think it is kind of in contrast to what he and we were used to. But if he's feeling healthy, has energy, etc I can't see how anyone should worry that he's lost too much weight. It will be interesting to see how/if that changes as you adjust to post-diet life. Let's see the six-pack photo too! Getting us back to fake one he drew on himself for that funny video years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this report and love that you are sharing it with all of us. I too have found great surprises in the wide variety of tastes and flavors in the plant world. The food has been great, and I love feeling full of light and energy! You two really went at this with a wonderful spirit, and I so enjoy hearing about it.

    I think it might be better to say you want to add a few animal foods and more sugar into your diet because of the convenience and the taste and to celebrate, rather than to try to make a case for some nutritional benefit. I believe it is clear that animal foods are not a better source of Vitamin D, fats, protein or an other nutrient than you can get from plant foods or supplements (in the case of Vitamin D). Not when they come packaged with all so many negatives (saturated fat, cholesterol, the kind of protein that grows cancer, etc.). Plus eliminating meat has the added benefit of pleasing the Lord and thus inviting more assistance from the Spirit.

    Good job, you two! I look forward to future reports!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up