Skip to main content

Catching up with 2016 (Christmas, January, & February)

Christmas baby
We had a good week with the Burnsides visiting for the holiday. We went to the "Space Camp" as a family which was pretty fun. We also had a cookie competition, saw some things on temple square, watched some movies, and ate some great food. Addie enjoyed being passed around, smiling and laughing all the while. Hinckley had a blast 
(as you can imagine) and basked in all the attention he got as he opened tons of presents and learned about Christmas by experience. He continues to elicit hilarity out of every situation, and has the ability to command fury and charm in the same breath. Kas and I saw Star Wars and enjoyed that quite a bit. 

At the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in SLC (Addie is in the bundle)

Preparing for the big unwrapping



Mega blocks = great Christmas present

Christmas dress 
My (Greg's) Mom and Dad came over for some New Years partying and Hinckley really loved popping some noise-makers Kas bought. What was funny is he loved the little shavings from the poppers more than any of his other toys he got for Christams, he lovingly calls them "his string". We went to the new(ish) Aquarium in Draper on New Years Day and saw some really amazing sea creatures including sharks, stingrays, turtles, penguins, otters, and eels. As we left we asked Hinckley what his favorite thing was and he said . . . "the Christmas trees". Wahoo! :) Addie cut her first teeth on New Year's Eve and has been incredibly cheerful during the painful process. We had some traditional root beer floats and Lucy's special nacho chip dip (without Lucy though). 

Hinckley joined Kas for some Downton Abbey screenings

New Years visit at the aquarium 

The big news in January was that Hinckley has gone on a successful journey on the Potty Train! Woot! Kassie had been preparing for quite some time for the fateful day. Using the "potty train your child in one day" method she was prepared with stickers, treats, fake potty and poop for the Charlie Brown doll, and a whole lot of patience. I asked how things were going when it was about lunch time on Monday (day 1) and Kas responded "Charlie Brown has been trained successfully, after nap we'll see how Hinckley does". Apparently helping to teach someone else who to use the potty is a good technique because Hinckley did a great job. He was a bit distressed when Charlie had an "accident" (Kas poured dyed water on Charlie when H wasn't looking during a potty movie marathon) but after tears were shed things worked out. He has been doing pretty well the rest of the week and stayed dry at church today so we are hopeful. 

"He's a Big Boy!" - Hinckley is potty trained! 



The grinnin' girl

Greg's new look?
his week I hit my thesis with a fury and made lots of progress. I've had a few great experiences in reviewing the transcripts, one might even call them spiritual experiences as I've reflected on the designers I interviewed and how much they care about those they design for and the every day challenges they face in their work. I've submitted a draft to my advisor and will find out soon if it is ready for Dad and my other committee member to check out. 

Addie sprouted a second tooth near the end of January and had her first taste of "real" food - which she actually wasn't very fond of at all! She kept spitting it up and made some pretty cute disgusted faces. She babbles quite a lot and has us all wrapped around her pudgy little fingers. 


Sprouting two teeth and chewing on whatever
Hinckley continues to expand his vocabulary and throws himself into each task with 110% of his attention and energy. Recently we've invented a few games to play after dinner. One game is a form of Star Wars duels where he comes up to me and says "Daddy, want to fight?" and then has me choose one of his blankies to use as a weapon. He also enjoys when we run around in circles together, build towers with mega blocks, and do a variety of other activities. He is loving his new seat position in the car now that we've turned his carseat around. He is always asking about what or who things/people are ("What is THAT guy!" - while pointing at a random woman just a few yards away) and has started "singing" (just saying the words fast) songs he's learned from nursery or his all time favorite TV show Daniel Tiger. Whenever he sees me at home he asks, "Daddy, you want to plaaaaayyy?" and it is very hard to say no! He is also starting to use his imagination quite a lot, putting his blankets on his trucks and reading them stories and exploring new planets.



Hinckley gets creative with his Halloween dino tail, creates real dinotruck.

Mommy and her babies
I had a fun ski trip with Steph and Shane at Sundance and thought about all the good times we've had there over the years. Crazy when we did the math that it has been about 10 years since we last went skiing together. Kas and I went out for some Thai food to celebrate my 27 years and Hinckley and Addie had a blast with Mom and Dad. We all indulged on some classic eclair cake and it was delightful. 

Kas is just finishing up a book called "The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up" and our lives are changing as we have done some de-junking (as my mission president would call it) of our belongings. It really does feel good to let go of the things I've been clinging on to that don't really serve any purpose anymore. The author is a bit extreme but there are many principals in the book that make lots of sense to us! 

Hinckley learned a little more about prayer this month. One evening he had been playing with an old CTR ring that Kassie was discarding, calling  it his “ring!” He lost it and was a total mess. It was time for family prayer and Kas asked if he wanted to ask Heavenly Father to help him find the ring. In a very pitiful tone, and with lots tears, he said “H’ve Fadda, please help me find my ring! Please find my ring!” It was very cute. Sure enough, Kassie found it while he and I were reading bed time books. When Kas brought it in he said "H've Fadda found it!!" 

Addie is still unsure about solid food, and makes some pretty funny faces when we try. She is just content sitting or laying around and grinning most of the time. We aren't grateful enough for how wonderful of a baby she has been, and our neighbors just had a baby and as we listen to the faint cries through the walls we are even more grateful for how easy Addie has been. 
Hinckley wakes up so early that he often joins in with exercise. 

H knocked out on G-pa's lap, providing Addie with a fun toy (his hair)

Two cuties having too much fun

We've discovered that the already illogical actions of a 2 year old become even more crazy when said kid is sick! Hinckley has thrown some royal fits, but in his sickened state he can be quite sweet as well. I took him with me to run some errands and he said, "I love you Daddy" out of the blue. I asked him "Why?" (to give him a taste of his own medicine . . . he has started that stage), and he said "because I kiss you!" which continued to warm my heart :) 

Kassie had her birthday on Tuesday and we had some yummy soup and cake to celebrate. Sure grateful for such a special woman in my life! 

Provo City Center Temple Open House

Its a Pass! . . . with minor revisions

Amidst bouts of sickness and long nights I successfully defended my thesis! Addie is teething and is still quite smiley, though she isn't sleeping much. Hinckley continues to love reading and asking lots of questions. Lately he has been saying funny phrases such as "How am I supposed to do . . . (xyz)?", "Why?", and at church today he was loudly saying "we don't read books during prayers!". We had long discussion about chemicals (I have no clue what he was saying) and he insists on hearing a "Daddy story" each night, no matter how boring they are (I realized I can't ever think of interesting stories from my own life to share!). He loves making Addie smile and is obsessed with his truck underwear. We all enjoyed the Provo City Center Temple open house on Monday, and I came back later in the day as a volunteer. Pretty neat to live in an area getting a new temple! 


Comments

  1. Wow! I just love these posts! Thank you for sharing them with us!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up