Skip to main content

Camping and Other First Time Adventures

May was an eventful month for our little family. 

A few weeks ago Kas took the kids to the Spanish Fork farm with Mom and Dad and Addie enjoyed sitting on the horses while Hinckley stated they were "stinky" so he couldn't get near them. I think that is one of the best excuses for being terrified of being around horses I've ever heard.

Addie riding princess style, help from Grandpa


For Family Home Evening we watched Good Dinosaur and I burned a bunch of popcorn that stunk up the house for the next three days. Hinckley was enraptured by that movie talked about it daily for at least a week. For some reason he didn't get scared of anything in that movie, but was sobbing during an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine because they were lost in the mist. Interesting time of life. 

Hinckley has been acting more "nervous" and shy recently, hugging my legs going into nursery and getting really agitated when visitors come, but he still softens up and is ok. He and I had a really fun visit to the Provo Beach Resort as a part of my work and we both had a blast! 

Hinckley rode the elephant and the gorilla and loved them both.

Joy in Nanna's backyard
The biggest news is we not only survived but enjoyed our first ever camp out with children. 

We had a great camping trip in Mesa Verde. There were lots of memorable things about it, but overall it was much better than I was expecting. The kids basically slept through the night the three nights we were there, we had enough to eat, and we made it to the places we wanted to without any melt down too big to handle. Hinckley did poop his pants which led to some uncomfortable cleaning sessions in the tiny camping bathroom, Addie bonked her head and was pretty cold at night, and we all almost didn’t handle the drive and get out, drive and get out, schedule of the first day there in which we saw lots of pit houses and kivas. But it all worked out! (Hinckley also survived the surprise at the end of the video below). 

Hinckley loved the s’mores and the camping, the fire and the “dirt houses”. His favorite thing was playing with his cars in the dirt though, he just loved that so much and it was funny to watch him. His little lizards (dollar store toys) also gave him lots to talk about. We were all freezing the first night, but made adaptations the next day to be a little warmer the following two nights. 

Best part of camping . . . playing in dirt

Gleeful vistas
Family picture + random guy and Mesa Verde cliffs



Kas and I got to go see Cliff Palace together which was really neat, and then I went with John and Rochelle to see Long House while Kas and the kids went with Naomi to Step House before going back down to the campground to get dinner started. It is remarkable what those ancient folks were able to construct! 

Cliff dwellings (AKA "Dirt Houses" as Hinckley calls them)

Beautiful hikers

After our campout Kas and the kids went down to New Mexico for a day or two to visit Kassie's grandparents and she had some really neat experiences learning about her family history there and interviewing her folks using the StoryCorps app. After that they headed to Colorado Springs for a week or two. Hinckley has been having a blast playing in the sandbox, following GrandDad around, pushing around trucks, fishing, going on exploration walks with Grandma, and much more. Addie has grown quite clingy it sounds like as she has been transported to three new locations (camping, NM, and CO) in a short amount of time for a little baby! But she seems to be doing alright. 

While alone I used just about every minute I could to develop the business and move things forward and it has started to pay off. We are on the verge of lots of great work and my partner may be able to join me part time or full time in the near future. 

Visiting Grandma and Grandpa Dally

Fishing with GrandDad
Grinning at the zoo

Kas, Hinckley, and Addie had a blast with the Burnsides in Colorado Springs. They went on a small train ride, enjoyed canoeing, visited the splash pad, ran about at the mall, and went to the zoo (where Hinckley's favorite thing was the frogs). They had a wonderful time and were a little reluctant to come home - but I am glad they did! It was wonderful to see them again and Addie especially was very happy to be home, shaking like crazy and giggling like mad. Hinckley expressed a few times that he was sad to not be at Grandma's house, but overall he seems to be glad to be back. 






Comments

  1. What a fun report!! Sure great to see the kids do their latest tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, loved this! You're creating quite the history!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up