Skip to main content

Ushering in Greyson John


January 7, 2018
Happy New Year! We all went to bed at the regular time New Years Eve, I think it was the first time in over 20 years I've not stayed up till midnight and it felt . . . amazing. On the first day of the year we took down all our Christmas stuff and did a deep clean of the closet under the stairs - I've finally come to understand and appreciate "that special feeling" Mom used to tell me I would get if I would just clean my room :) After nap time we went bowling and the kids had a fun time hefting the large balls and rolling the down the track. The next day Hinckley came downstairs saying sorrowfully “I hate normal life!” when he saw all the Christmas decorations were down and remembered that all those good times were now history and not in the very near future. 


Exploring "The Valley of the Moon"

Hinckley bought one of those arm extension things that allows you to pick up items off the ground. He calls it his “robot arm” and really loves toting it around to pick up new items. Addie enjoyed following behind him to see what he is going to do with it. They continue to vacillate between mortal enemies and bosom pals, and for the most part get along well. Kassie even braved a grocery trip with them both and they didn't through massive tantrums. Progress! 



Chef Adelaide

Addie is very sweet and says really funny things that keep us all laughing. She loves to tease Hinckley. She is getting more used to sleeping in a bed though potty training is still a work in progress. She wet the bed during a nap and that was sort of the last straw as our washer was broken over the holidays and it took a while to get info from our landlords about what to do. I did a ton of laundry at Zach and Kylees and fortunately work is flexible enough I could work from their home office that morning so Kassie didn't have to deal with that. Then they delivered a new washer this week! So we are very grateful. 

We've been reflecting on the new year, goals, and the life and legacy of President Monson. There is much to be grateful and hopeful about despite all the evil in the world. Here's to a groovy 2018!

Playing with Mommie

January 14, 2018
As we hit 39 weeks of #3 pregnancy I got sick and then handed it off to Kassie just in time for this final week of waiting. Hopefully she gets through it as fast as I did, ugh. Despite my feeling a bit under the weather we had a full week. Hinckley's preschool teacher was in the hospital this week so Christmas break was extended and Kassie worked fast to figure out activities to keep the kids engaged. They went to the zoo with friends and had a great time, and they did some baking too. 

Addie continues to make us laugh with little sayings and phrases. The other morning after I hugged Hinckley when he came down the stairs for breakfast Addie insisted he hug her. He asked why and she just demanded, “hug me Hinckelbee!” The other night Kassie said Addie was saying over and over, “I HATE the magic school bus, I love the magic school bus!” Sometimes she really does seem like at least two characters stuck in one toddler body. The kids saw a movie called Boss Baby so for a few days she was calling things “my fos baby” and then calling Kassie “you are my fos baby”. She loves to get us laughing and has started a new thing at breakfast lately where she launches into fantastical tales about her dream the night before, usually referring to items going into her mouth or belly button. Hinckley laughs like crazy and tries to mimic her. She has picked up on some of our phrases too like "That's a good idea!" and others where I don't know where she gets them like "I'm MEAN at YOU!" and "I hate it!" (often referring to any music I turn on or any action I do that doesn't have to do with me serving her food or playing exactly what she wants). 





Hinckley is loving the legos and other building toys he got for Christmas. He spends more time creating and experimenting with these little objects and this week he discovered the magic of doing a puzzle by yourself and seeing it all come together. He proclaimed, "I'm going to do puzzles all my life." He continues to love building forts and is learning how to do it on his own without someone helping him at every step. Lots of tears have been shed, but hopefully a flame of self reliance has been kindled or at least fizzled momentarily. He continues to love science things such as the Microbes from the Magic School bus and of course his rocks and gems. Inspired by an episode of Bill Nye regarding digestion he asked me for something to eat to see what happened when he was upside down on the couch. I smiled when I heard him lecturing Addie the other day about how she has red blood cells that help her. She of course didn't like him telling her anything, but he was being very patient. He's becoming quite the helper! He loved working in the yard yesterday as we had a sort of fall/spring/something yard work day blowing leaves and picking up around our yard. 

Freshly opened geode! 

January 28, 2018

We had a fun week with Nana and Grandpa here and Greyson coming to stay for good! 


Playing Sequence with Nana

There were many trips to the park, stories read, tears shed, and lots more. The birth story may be forthcoming . . . 




Greyson with his favorite person


Proud big brother

Happy older sister


Greyson John

February 4, 2018

This was a fun and different week for us as I've been home with Kas and the kids as we all get used to having Greyson here. He is doing well, and eating like a maniac and his older brother and sister enjoy talking to him and trying to please him in different ways. Kassie is recovering well, though she is still quite tired.


Angel pose


Fun things we did this past week:
  • Gem and Mineral show of Tucson - they loved it, and even braved the disgusting porter potty. Hinckley thought he surely could find something that cost nothing, so he asked me the price of everything he saw. It was so cute seeing him run around with his learning guide for gems and minerals from the National Geographic
  • Storytime with Addie at the library - she wasn’t too into any of the songs, but she loved the stories and enjoyed people watching. She also successfully navigated her way out of a few naps this week which was terrible for all of us
  • Flying a kite
  • Walking to and from preschool
  • Children’s museum in Tucson - they did ok at taking turns to choose the next room we would go to, and Hinckley really took to the music tracks I played on the way to and from Tucson and even tried singing along with some of the songs


Addie is in full revolt mode for naps and just about everything that isn't dictated by her. She is also getting quite meta as she makes many interesting statements of logic such as "I'm Addie because I'm Addie" or "I'm Owlet (character from PJ Masks) because I am!" and "I'm sick because I am sick". She has also taken to getting reactions from Hinckley by yelling and pointing at him "You are a meanie face!" and then laughing with glee as Hinckley gets upset. When I spent some time alone with her during Hinckley's preschool she made many statements asserting her independence from Hinckley's shadow such as "This is MINE, not Hincklebee's, Okaaay?!" (while pointing at her groundhog day coloring paper from storytime at the library)


Tucson Gem Show - its a big deal

Grinning at the park

Diligent homework scholar

Hinckley has become quite the helper and doesn't seem too phased by having a little brother. He enjoys finding experiments to do and continually pops off hilarious and unique statements/questions like "Addie, you have skin cells." and "You know, this has been a really long life I've had" and "I feel kinda strange without my jamies on (he was wearing day clothes) maybe it's cause I love them so much." 

We loved seeing Ryan, Caleb, and Elsie for a couple hours Saturday! The kids were in heaven, and as soon as the door opened Hinckley was grabbing at Caleb to come see his stalactite experiment we got from Bill Nye's beloved cave episode. Kassie's brother Dan and his wife and baby came in the afternoon and the kids went with them to Peter Piper's Pizza which was great for everyone. We feel so blessed to have such a great family! Thank you all for your calls and checkins. We appreciate you. 

Visitors 

February 10, 2018

These last few days have been full of activities. Monday we went to the group from the ward of moms and kids who play soccer and then play at the park - Hinckley had a blast playing soccer again and Addie had “a great fall” from up high on the playground under my watch. I felt terrible and I think she felt worse. That afternoon we went swimming (yay! swimming in 80 degrees in February!) and both kids had so much fun. Hinckley was in heaven jumping off the side of the pool and encouraging a friend he met there to try getting into the deeper part of the pool. I’ve really been struck with his patience and loving personality as I’ve been able to watch him interact with other kids his age lately. 

Family picture in the glow of 29 candles

On walk with the mini stroller and the roboclaw

Curious Greyson

I had a great birthday, thanks for all the kind messages and calls!
 Hinckley kept asking me if we were going to the arcade (something I promised we’d do), and his argument finally won out when he said “Common Dad, we need to go somewhere fun for your birthday!” So we did. After that there was still time to make it to the Sahuarita library for lego time where he built a rocket ship, a water ship, and a mountain tower with a trap on it — all of which went on display at the library. He presented me with two gifts "wrapped" in construction paper - one of his beloved shells from his collection and one of his rocks he got from his best friend. I felt very special. Kassie and Addie also made the day special and it was a good one! 

Lego time at the library

Exploring Mom and Dad's closet

Saturday morning I washed both the van and the Elantra with Hinckley and Addie. Hinckley said “this is the most fun thing I’ve done EVER.” Might be a slight hyperbole but he certainly seemed to enjoy himself. Addie refused a nap and we all paid for it dearly. As Greyson was screaming in the car as if someone was sawing off his leg she was screaming with her hands over her ears saying “Stop the crying, stop the baby crying!” and “He wants milky, he wants milky!” Ugh. So yes - we did go on our first family outing today with three kids. We went up to a frontier fort where they were doing things like candle-making and having a brass band play in civil war garb. Hinckley made an adobe brick and I hauled Addie around as she said she hated everything. Afterwards we went to the Cashew Cow - a vegan ice cream shop that was pretty amazing and that cheered everyone up for a few minutes before we were back into the car! 



Kassie is recovering well, and this week I head back to work. Her mom is coming in time for her birthday and we are hopeful that Greyson will begin sleeping a little more at night so Kas can at least get one full sleep cycle in . . . Greyson had his 2 week check up and he has gained back his full weight since birth and then some! He is well over 8 lbs and even grow an extra inch and a half -ish. He charms the kids and keeps us on our toes as we learn how to play zone defense. I'm sure it will only get more exciting. 

At the Cashew Cow (or "Cashew Pig" as Addie called it)

Buckled up for our first family outing with 3 kids

Little Critter

February 18, 2018

This week I went back to Intuit and Kas transitioned to life at home with three kids and all in all it went well. It was good to be back at work, though not as fun as being with those kidlings! Kassie's mom came this weekend and that has been fun. We had a fun day for Kassie's birthday including cheesecake to top it off. Valentines was also a hit for the kids as it involved lots of fun crafts, food, and other joyful events. 


Front row seat to wrestling match

A boy scholar, Owlet, and a burrito baby

Victuals from the Valentines Day Kicker

Birthday girl with family and cheesecake 

Grandma gazing

Car racing with Grandma 

Greyson continues to grow and eat and sleep (sometimes). Addie continues to be extraordinarily needy and tortuous while still maintaining a remarkable level of cuteness. It has been rainy this week which is really strange for us, and a little cold (below 70...) so we've had to stay inside a little which has taken some getting used to. 




February 25, 2018
In Tucson there is an interesting tradition of having "Rodeo Days" in which there are a bunch of Rodeo festivities and the schools shut down for two days, it is pretty amazing! Also with President's day I enjoyed a 3 day weekend with the family. 


Eating junk at Intuit

Roping the immovable Bull

We went to two events, one at Intuit on Thursday and another at the clubhouse of our community, where the kids were exposed to a variety of "fair foods" such as deep fried Oreos, large pretzels, and cotton candy. They also enjoyed some of the games and activities. Addie brushed a goat and sheep and Hinckley rode a robo-bull of some kind which threw him off onto the bouncy ground after about 3 seconds :) 






Greyson continues the newborn cycle of eating, sleeping, producing waste, and crying. There were a few better nights this week where we logged some hours of rest and few that weren't as good. We love the little guy! Addie and Hinckley continue to dote on him. Addie has been more kind and herself this week thanks to the medicine we got from the doctor - hopefully we can get rid of that ear infection once and for all. The decibel level in our house continues to rise to new records. 

Little Bro Chalupa Child (recovering from a walk in the carrier)

Dreaming 4 year old and "his" tree

Addie in her favorite seat in the entire world

Kassie returned to church today and Greyson made his debut visit, doing quite well by sleeping for most of the time. This next week is the first full week of regular schedule and so we are moving towards establishing a new "normal" with three kidlings. 



Comments

  1. I really like the "pondering" entry with little Greyson. What a sweet child he is. Thanks for all the fun posts and especially for alerting us to your entries. You do a great job recording the special and representative moments of your young family. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed! I love seeing and reading what you share!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up