Skip to main content

February 2021

February 28, 2021

This week flew by as we keep running through the routine each day. For FHE on Monday Kassie asked that we all go through the house and find 1 thing that is valuable to us and bring it back to the table. Hinckley went right for Greyson and “grabbed” him, which of course Greyson didn’t like and he began to scream and cry. Hinckley was genuinely wanting to bring Greyson to the table as his valuable haha. It was pretty cute. Later Addie eagerly sat with Greyson in the bathroom as he was on the toilet to tell him stories which I enjoyed listening to as I swept up the kitchen. She said something like, “Once there was a princess...don’t worry this is a boy story....and she met a truck. And then they wanted to marry each other, so then they married each other, the end.” Then after a moment's pause, Greyson said, “I want another story.”

Family pile


Hinckley happily passed off his level one in gymnastics this week, which is exciting as this was one of his goals he had set for a physical goal. I’m glad he is having the experience of setting a goal and achieving it! That is so important. We talked about learning discipline and gave him a challenge in response to wanting money. He "fasted" from sugar for 4 days and earned 50 cents per day, but couldn't resist some candy on Saturday. Slow and steady right?


Hinckley passing off level 1 gymnastics


We had a full Saturday in that M&D came to watch the kids while Kassie and I enjoyed the Roots of Knowledge exhibit at the UVU library. It was incredible! We’ll need to go back sometime and bring the kids. In the afternoon I took Hinckley and Addie swimming at the rec center while Kas and Greyson went on their date to the Butterfly Biosphere. And we are ready for a new month and hopefully a new season of weather.

Nana and Grandpa visit


February 21, 2021

President’s day we went as a family to Lowe’s Trampoline Park in Provo per Kassie's birthday request. We had a lot of fun jumping and swinging and bouncing around there and am happy to report zero injuries. My favorite was the super tramp which made it so easy to go incredibly high. It was amazing how much effort though it requires to maintain! Hinckley and Addie had a ton of fun flying into the foam blocks and Greyson jumped and run for nearly an hour straight. Everyone was very tired the rest of the day. Later in the day I went to DI and got some throw pillows and did some work so now I have a really nice podcast studio! I’m excited to put it to good use. It sounds amazing! It is funny what a small thing like buying throw pillows at DI can do for me, I got pretty excited and it was fun to have Greyson and Addie “helping” me as well.


Leaving the Jump park



Another awkward family picture at the Jump Park

For Kassie's birthday, we had some great Thai food and cheesecake for the dinner and we had fun playing fruit basket turnover. Greyson made a lot of really cute faces at us which had us all laughing pretty hard. Hinckley said it was the “best day at school ever because of the snow at recess”. He told us all about a huge snowball he and his friends made that he got trapped under, and how he tricked a bully and his followers by making him step in a big ice puddle. He was so wet and stinky when he came home from school he changed clothes. He was in heaven! 


Cheesecake for Mom's 33rd

Mom birthday hugs

Valentines Day Kicker

Taking inventory of Valentines day spoils


Greyson continues to ham it up all day every day. I love to tickle him and eat my “Greyson pie” (tickling his tummy), and it is delightful when he comes to me or Kassie and says, “I have a little Greyson pie left in my tumbly, but don’t eat it all! Dad wants some too!” He LOVES when I make his clothes or his pull-up come “alive” and he has to chase them down in order to put them on. He’ll try stamping on them with his foot and diving at them to catch with his hands, laughing like mad the whole time. It is very delightful. The other afternoon he was playing extensively with my alarm clock and he managed to turn the radio on. With NPR blabbering about COVID and whatever else he looked up at me when Addie and I came into the room and he quick guarded his resource, “NO! I’m listening to stories!” And when he saw that we weren’t going to take it away, he caught the word “school” from the radio and happily chirped to Addie, “They’re talking about school Addie! I heard school!” He is a light in our family, despite the train wreck fits that are common in early 3-year-olds.


Addie was scared the other night from a dream she had and was getting pretty worked up about going to sleep as she didn’t want the same dream. She was starting to get a bit hysterical and all of my and Kassie’s ideas were falling flat. Then Hinckley, using his Blobby voice and holding out one of his slippers said, “I’ll sleep with you! And eat all your nightmares!” And Addie exploded with joy and in euphoria exclaimed her excitement. It was pretty special to see Hinckley do this and also how happy it made both of them. As I read bedtime stories with Addie she kept smiling at the “Blobby” and talking to him. She then tucked him in “just the way Hinckley does it” and went to sleep. She was happy to report no scary dreams the next morning.

Greyson's "famous face" as he prepares for Friend to Friend

Bundled up kids


We watched the Friend-to-Friend event which was really cute and uplifting. Our kids hung in there for just about the whole thing! We also had the first session of our first virtual Stake Conference Saturday evening. Hinckley and Kas had a date in the afternoon so I tried to keep the younger two busy. We had a “nap” in my bed while listening to Junie B Jones, bathed Greyson, made chocolate chia pudding, went to the park, and played with legos. They go non-stop till they crash!


February 13, 2021

We had a fun day today going up the canyon to play in the snow with the Kays in the morning and watching Ratatouille this afternoon. It was wonderful to see baby Kelli underneath Abi’s coat and the boys had a fun time building a big snow fort while Addie and Sadie wandered around playing various imaginary games. Greyson probably had the hardest time as his gloves kept falling off and he didn’t quite know what activity to participate in. He did really well with going to the potty this week, perhaps due to working on a second sticker chart with the prize of cotton candy. He is getting more comfortable making it to the bathroom, and Addie really likes to "help" him ("Your a little MOM" - says Hinckley).





On Friday Kas and I had a date to the Vertical Diner in SLC, an all plant-based food place that was really good. I met Brandon for lunch this week and it was nice to visit with him for some time. It is remarkable the differences in our lives and how apparently our shared interests have grown increasingly apart. And yet he is enjoyable to visit with and there is plenty to discuss. I’m grateful for his friendship.

The rest of the week was a bit of the regular humdrum of daily routines, the outbreaks, and resolutions of ceaseless arguments and desire for attention and love. I shot some hoops with Hinckley and Greyson and played a kind of variation of baseball with them when Addie went to music class. Addie drew another pile of mermaid pictures (did you know you can find pictures of just about every Disney princess as a mermaid?) and continues to enjoy Junie B. Jones books. Kassie is learning more about our neighborhood as she is now the treasurer for the HOA and figuring out how to navigate some things there.

All in all, we are pressing forward continually with our best hope in Christ and the great plan of our Redeemer.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up