Skip to main content

Patience

In church on Sunday we read many scriptures in the Book of James. As the teacher continued talking about different points, a neat chain that began forming in my mind distracted me and I began to pursue it during class. For this paper, I completed the chain (or just took it a little further) and using Elder Bednar's insights on searching, studying, and making connections I have gained some new thoughts on patience.

Below I have listed the scriptures in their entirety.

James 1:3-4

3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh bpatience.

4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be aperfect and entire, wanting nothing.

D&C 67:13

13 Ye are not able to abide the presence of God now, neither the ministering of angels; wherefore, continue in patience until ye are perfected.

Romans 2:7

7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life

Hebrews 12:1

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the asin which doth so easily bbeset us, and let us run with cpatience the race that is set before us.


Helaman 6:1

1 And it came to pass that when the sixty and second year of the reign of the judges had ended, all these things had happened and the Lamanites had become, the more part of them, a righteous people, insomuch that their arighteousness did exceed that of the Nephites, because of their firmness and their steadiness in the faith.

The initial thing that caught my interest was the connection between patience and perfection. It seems that as we are continually striving to keep the faith and do what is right (or endure to the end) than our patient and diligent efforts will result in perfection. So often we want things to work now and yet the Lord teaches over time and through different conditions.

So a recurring theme arises - that of continuing in patience. Or as Paul infers, set a course and pace and move towards the goal of eternal life at a speed that is possible for us, knowing in time and with patience we will come off as conquerors. The Nephites were not as skilled in this attribute as their Lamanite counterparts because they did not run their race with patience. Continuing in patience reminds me of a long distance runner, or the woman I met in Colorado who was making Indian rugs in the old way. Neither the runner nor the rug maker can reach their goal immediately. The idea of running a 10K in a moment is absurd, as well as making a rug, which requires at least 3 days of time, in a short time frame. Then why do we sometimes expect perfection now when it is a long-term goal? There may be a variety of reasons, however it is important to focus on our progress over time rather than the speed of that progress in a single moment.

The Lord makes it clear that we are not able to bear his presence now, because we have not been perfected. This is a goal that comes with patiently living the first principles and ordinances of the gospel, and not one act of righteousness or moment of amazing power. Paul encourages us and the Romans to remember that patience assists only those who have the righteous goals and motives of gaining eternal life. It seems that patience can do little for one who has alternate plans.

In this study I feel I used many (if not all) of what Elder Bednar suggested in his talk. It is refreshing and helpful to use the Index (which was significant for me in this study in which I relied on 'perseverance'), make connections in the scriptures, and extrapolate key themes that can be seen in every day life. I am grateful for all these different methods and also the opportunity this was to reflect on them once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...