Skip to main content

DC: Week 3

This was a busy week for touring! MLK day was a fun adventure for us in that we hit the National Museum of Natural History, the National Aquarium, the Jefferson Monument, the FDR Monument, the new MLK monument and . . . saw Mission Impossible 4 on the Smithsonian IMAX theater! It was a great holiday and a neat time to be in DC.

The White House

When we go to the Mall we have found it is the fastest to just walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. Each time we walk by the President's house. Yesterday there was a Catholic group saying "Hail Mary" at the fence over and over, and later a group of protesters with Syrian flags and pictures of Hitler. Pretty interesting house guest I reckon.

Monument

I really love the Washington Monument. We learned this week that each state donated a stone to the statue, and Utah's has inscribed on it "Holiness to the Lord" with a picture of a beehive. I think that is fitting to describe Washington and all he has done for this country.

Jefferson Over Water

I had never seen pictures of the Jefferson Memorial. For one reason or another it is not as well known as the Lincoln. It is really beautiful over the small bay that you walk around and I thought this picture was pretty awesome.

National Natural History Museum

The Natural History Museum. Also the venue for "Mission Impossible 4" on the IMAX theater.

MLK Day
The new MLK monument has generated some controversy because of the quotes put on the actual statue. None the less it was neat to be there on the great man's birthday. Many other folks and TV crews felt the same way I think.

Friday we went to the Newseum. It was, perhaps, my favorite one so far in that they had a really neat gallery of all the Pulitzer Prize winning photos, historical newspapers and TV reports, and just really interesting stuff. We went with the class that I go to here at the Barlow Center each Friday.

Saturday we went to the Natural Aerospace Museum and then later in the day we enjoyed a quartet from the Air Force Orchestra at the John F Kennedy Center. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera. But we will be returning there often so I can remedy that problem.

Starting tomorrow is my first full week at my internship. I am enjoying it very much and learning some great skills. It is somewhat of a surreal experience to look out the window and see the towering monuments and dome of the capital, but I am getting used to it. All in all, it has been a great week 3!

Comments

  1. Wow--cool! I never knew that about the Washington memorial. That is neat to know. I am interested to know what controversial quotes are on the MLK monument?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dishes

It is that time of day when the house is quiet, the table is half covered in pots, pans, and tuber ware with food scattered across. The car isn’t in the garage and the dog lies sleeping on the blue blanket. The sun lies somewhere back there, behind the cloud over those mountains. It makes some nice gold colors on the rocky face of the mountains outside of the window. I guess it is so nice because at this time of year there is a lot of plants and flowers in the back yard so the gold makes it seem sort of dreamlike. Yeah, I’ll do em I guess. Call it being nice or being bored. Does it matter? Approaching the sink I am nipped by the denting smell. The eggshells, scraps of mango, carrot peel, and chunks of tofu drip in my fingers. Oh yes, the trash is under the sink these days. Drip once, drip twice on the floor. The water in the frying pan trembles, shaking the crusty flakes of burnt egg. Yogurt and peanu...

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this littl...

Into October

New Room We made the move, and Hinckley now has his own room. This has meant more sleep for Kassie (she doesn't wake up at any slight rustle of noise coming from his direction), and more sleep for Hinckley (he doesn't wake up when I get up in the morning to get ready for work). It is sort of sad and crazy that he is out of the room, and on his way to be a toddler. But that is what happens!  One of the first nights in H's own room. New Etsy Shop It was about 2 weeks ago that Kas began working towards opening her own Etsy shop . It has been fun to watch her make things and play around with the best way to get people to see her stuff. She is really creative and simply enjoys making things. We aren't looking to make a fortune or anything, but it would be nice to have a fun hobby, and have it pay for itself!  Check it out! If you know of anyone that is looking for baby products, come look at Kassie's site. More products will be coming.   ...