Skip to main content

April 2022

May 1, 2022

We had an amazing week at Disneyland! We drove down on Monday and checked into our hotel with Kassie's parents. Hinckley had eaten so much junk food that he ended up throwing up his fiery Cheetos around midnight that night...but luckily was feeling better the next day. It was a magical trip and everyone had a wonderful time on the variety of rides and such. Addie was in heaven getting autographs from princesses and the boys enjoyed the thrill rides. There are some new Star Wars rides that are quite incredible. They also had a ton of fun swimming in the hotel pool and all thought the shuttle to the park was a pretty great "ride" as well. We drove home Friday and got back to regular life this weekend with Saturday chores, Addie’s soccer game, Hinckley’s tennis, and ....Greyson peeing on the floor behind the couch. I also spent a good amount of time moving Greyson’s bed into the office and taking down my office so now it is his room. Sort of sad as I really loved that space. I hope this will be good for all the kids moving forward and that they can get along and have more peace in our home with room situations. I'll be working at the Weave office most of the time moving forward.

Day 1 in the Park

Splash mountain with H

Matterhorn with H, Mom, G, and Grandad

Storybook ride

Ice Cream on Main Street USA

Princess castle splendor

Its a Small World After All

Storybook ride - Elsa's castle

King Arthur Carasoul 

Autotopia with Greyson's crazy driving

First ride of the day on Space Mountain

Entering the Haunted Mansion

Relaxing at the Hotel Pool

Arriving in time for the parade

Rest time at the hotel

Cars ride after brutal wait in line

Greyson and Grandma on Cars ride

Incredicoaster for the 3rd time

Grizzly Falls post wet ride shot

Ready to go home

California Adventure


There were many highlights and memorable things, I’ll provide a few bullets here:

  • First rides on day 1 with Hinckley - Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and the Haunted House. He was jumping for joy at it all, enthralled by the sheer wonder and magic of each ride. He was able to ride in the “driver's seat” for Indiana Jones and screamed/laughed the whole time.
  • Greyson, Addie, Kas, and her parents had a blast with other rides that morning but for Greyson, the highlight was the haunted house and for Addie, it was seeing princesses with Grandma (after waiting for over an hour). She was in heaven.
  • On day 2, Greyson and Kas came with me and Hinckley to Space Mountain and we got on the first coaster of the entire day! Greyson was quite amazed by it all and was shaking with emotion by the end. We all went on the Matterhorn as well which was super fun though G was pretty afraid of the Yeti guy.
  • I had some time with Addie and took her on “It’s a Small World” and she was amazed by it and loved it so much. I had taken H on that earlier in the day and it was fun to see how different that ride was for both of them. Addie kept commenting on how cute everything was and it was pure magic for her.
  • On day 2 we tried coming home earlier to give the kids time to rest. After playing in the pool for a very long time (they played “Gravity Falls”) I convinced them to lay down for a podcast and Addie and Greyson slept for a very long time! I ended up bringing them to the Park after Kas and H and the Burnsides had already gone there. We sat and watched some classic Mickey Mouse cartoons for a while and then split up so I could go with Hinckley on the Rise of the Resistance ride while Addie waited for the parade with Greyson. That was incredible! Hinckley was in such a bad mood though about wanting a lightsaber, that when we came back to Main street and we saw the parade going by in the dark, he pined that even the Fairy Godmother had a lightsaber! Haha. Greyson ignored the parade and spent most the evening “sploring” a tree and some large leaves. Addie was obsessed with the magic of the parade.
  • After some confusing traffic jams of people post parade, we caught about 1.5 minutes of the Encanto light show and I put Greyson on my shoulders and hefted up Hinckley who was singing at the top of his lungs. That one moment made the day “the best day ever”. We did the Tea Cups before making our way out of the park as the Mickey and Friends light show started on the main street. Addie exclaimed, “I love all this music! It makes me want to just get in my cozy bed!”
  • Our final day started out rough for Addie, Greyson, Naomi, and I as we went to Cars Land along with a massive group of other people. We finally did the ride which was fun, but they were so exhausted from that line. Hinckley, Kassie, and John did 11 rides in about 2 hours! We recovered though and I took Addie on the Ferris wheel and then Soarin’ over the World which she LOVED. We saw Mickey Mouse and got his autograph.
  • I got to go with Hinckley on the Incredicoaster a couple of times which we both loved, he was over the moon about that and couldn’t stop talking about it. We had a blast. Then I took him and Greyson on the Grizzly Falls run and we all got pretty wet. Greyson was holding on for dear life and then began shouting words in his “mignons” language (gibberish) as we went down the huge falls. The people on the ride with us were laughing so hard, the teenage girl seemed to almost lose her breath. The three of us also waited in a very long line for the Web Slingers ride and Greyson was so excited to see Spiderman. Right as we came out of the ride, Spiderman walked by us and gave the boys a high five - much like Chewbacca did for Hinckley when we came out of the incredible Rise of Resistance the night before.

There was so much in all of it that can’t be captured. Even the hotel (and breakfasts with cartoons) and the shuttle bus were highlights to the kids. Greyson proclaimed that the shuttle was one of his favorite rides. It was so nice to have Grandma and Grandad there which facilitated us splitting up and doing things that each kid was most interested in.  

April 24, 2022

Spring is in full bloom here in Lehi. We went to the Tulip Festival for a very fast visit as there was a strong wind. I got to go to “Books and Buddies” at Hinckley’s classroom which meant we read together for about 30 minutes. It was really fun to see his class and read with him and his Blobbies. Also this week Addie and I went to Baskin Robbins so she could use her coupon that she got in one of her Easter eggs. She was pretty happy about that! And Greyson turned in early, Kassie said, because he was “bored”. Earlier in the day he got into some Kool-Aid powder and apparently made a huge mess.

Tulip Festival smiles

Tulip posing

Post bath cuddling

Books and Buddies

Baskin Robbins 

Caught Kool-aid handed

Kassie's parents and sister came into town this week as Naomi graduated from BYU after many years of dedicated work. I met the family and Kassie and Greyson for lunch at a Thai place in Lehi to celebrate on Friday. Greyson did pretty well for his first sit-down restaurant experience! On Saturday I played with Greyson on some playgrounds and on a soccer field during Addie’s soccer game while the rest of the family watched Addie play. Hinckley went to a friend’s birthday party where they all brought nerf guns and the party hosts supplied the ammo. He had a blast. The kids had fun making cakes and activities and are super excited to go to Disneyland tomorrow. Hopefully, they get some sleep!


Cheese cake creation


Thai food with the Burnsides and Dallys

Greyson's soccer dreams

Making cakes with Grandma

Frosting cake with Grandma

Frosting with Grandma and Liana


Greyson's party cake

Hinckley's lava cake

Addie's unicorn cake


I’ve started reading The Second Mountain by David Brooks and it is amazing. He begins by describing our individualistic society and the impossibilities we've pushed one another into and I find myself feeling deeply connected to the ideas he is talking about. I'm excited to finish it on our trip this week.

April 17, 2022

Earlier this week I went to Zupas after work to get a slice of cheesecake for a guy I minister to (birthday). I decided to get some treats for our family too. Well, the next morning Kassie sent me a picture with the caption that Greyson had something to tell me. It was a slice of mangled cheesecake on a plate, under the table. He had asked Kassie if he could “eat something from the fridge” and when she had agreed he raided the cheesecake! So he used some of his money to buy another and it all worked out. He clearly knew it was wrong given he ate it under the table. We woke up to snow on the ground later in the week, and it has been quite cold and icy. I’m glad we waited till this weekend to turn on the water and prep the garden. Greyson went out to play in the snow which he was pretty excited about. He has been increasingly difficult to monitor and is always getting into things.

Mangled cheesecake evidence

Hinckley had a hard time this week since he has a sub at school the whole week. It is a reminder of how amazing his teacher has been for him this year with things like letting him stand at his desk rather than sit the whole time and so forth. One evening he asked me, “I just want something to think about.” He complained about being so bored at school and at home. I don’t know what that means or how to help! He did like the idea of doing a book report about a book he has been reading called The Greenglass House which was recommended by a member of my team at work. So maybe he'll do that.

I got to go with Addie to music class and she got it in her head that she wants to be an actress and was getting very excited about that idea as we drove to music. She was really cute in class and kept giving me small hugs and smiles throughout. Addie started soccer this week and I took her to her first game where she met her teammates and had lots of fun running after the ball. In one instance the other team scored and a girl on that team cheered and accidentally caught Addie’s face with her hand when doing so - which created a bit of a moment. But other than that it was great and she was raving about it as we drove home. She and Greyson played really well together on Saturday playing an imaginary game where they picked dandelions and "roasted marshmallows". When kids get along it truly is like heaven on earth.

Easter eggs! 

Rock painting kit

The kids dyed some Easter eggs with Kassie on Friday which they seemed to enjoy along a specture of pure delight (Hinckley) to boredom and making messes (Greyson). I checked out the sprinklers and all looks to be ok this year…! Which I am very grateful for. Also, I finished re-reading all the Harry Potter books, and that feels good. Those books are incredible.

April 10, 2022


This week was Spring Break for the kids. Because we will be going out of town in a couple weeks we stayed home and Kassie worked hard to keep the kids busy throughout the week. They went to the library, swam at the Provo Rec Center, Museum of Natural Curiosity at Thanksgiving Point, and more. On Monday we watched the live-action Aladdin which we all really enjoyed. Addie kept asking me questions about whether certain things were real or not as well as logistical questions such as “How did they get to the desert?” and “How did they get back to the city?” She was very curious and also excited that she wasn’t too scared. During the cave of wonders scene, Greyson exclaimed “This is the kind of scary movies I like!”

Sunbathing with Dollie

Magic

Germ kids

Holding a butterfly

Holding a butterfly

One morning while I was at the temple doing initiatories, Kassie said that Greyson came downstairs around 6:30 a.m. and opened the back door. Later when he came for breakfast we asked him about it and he said he peed….! And sure enough, when we opened the curtains there on the wood steps was the evidence. What the heck? Apparently, Kassie was in the downstairs bathroom and he didn’t want to go back upstairs. Ugh. I led my team at work in our quarterly planning session this week. Kassie and the kids came to visit and were able to meet the team in person which was fun for everyone I think. The kids were excited about getting some treats from Weave.

Conference crafts

Throwing sticks in the Jordan River



On Friday I had my date with Hinckley. We watched Indiana Jones (the first one) and I realized it was much more violent and void of substance than I recalled. Dang. Well you win some and you lose some and I wish I’d have been more sensitive to that after the opening scene and just changed the movie on the spot. Now we get to recall Nazi faces melting :/

We had a full Saturday. After chores and media, I took the kids down to Provo to watch the BYU wind symphony do a family concert. It was incredible! They had a variety of pieces and ways to engage the kids throughout and all three kids sat quietly and watched throughout the program which was nothing short of a miracle. The sheer beauty of it all seemed to just fill my soul. It was remarkable.

Addie sleeping over in Hinckley's room

Dying eggs with Nana and the Kays

Dying eggs at Nana's with the Kays

Painting rocks

Afterward, we went to 1220 Locust and ate some lunch with the Kay children, and decorated eggs, and Mom prepared a small hunt down in the basement. They really enjoyed that! We came home in time to drag Hinckley to tennis lessons. I took him this time which was a first for me and in between chapters of Harry Potter 7 I watched him run around and swing at the ball which was fun. Kassie and I had a date afterward and went to a Mexican place in Orem, walked through the Dino museum in Thanksgiving Point, and then watched The Lost City in the theaters. It was a fun date and I’m excited about nicer weather so we can do more outside things. Mom came and watched the kids and they seemed to have a good time.

There are still many unhappy moments with the room situation (Greyson has now been in Addie's room for the last two weeks). Addie and Hinckley had a "sleepover" this week which they were both excited about. It is good to see those brief moments when everyone puts aside their strong negative feelings and has a great time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up