Skip to main content

October 2022

October 30, 2022

This week Addie was sick most of the week and was finally able to go back to school on Friday. She did a bunch of school work one day and drew for over 2 hours straight on another, so all in all she did pretty well with that. It was Red Ribbon week (no drugs) and she was sad to miss PJ day and other special dress up days. Hinckley enjoyed crazy hair day and “retro day”. He wore a 50s outfit with a white shirt and jeans. He couldn’t find his regular jacket so last minute I suggested he wear his suit coat…which he did. He was called “Mr. President” most of the day at school and actually reveled in the attention from what I can tell. Greyson also enjoyed getting some crazy hair for one of the days. They are all overwhelmed with Halloween excitement.

Legacy Center Halloween Party

Costumes ready, Anne, Pirate Zombie, and Grim Reaper

Crazy Hair day

Epic car track build


As a family we went to the Lehi Rec Center Halloween party. It was very loud with lots of people, but the kids loved it. I went with Hinckley to the “Spook Alley” which he managed pretty well, and I enjoyed his holding my hand the whole time and for about 20 minutes after. I’m very glad I didn’t allow Addie and Greyson to go through with us on that. Phew. Addie was over the moon about all the costumes and chatted non-stop through the event. She and Greyson were excited about winning the little prizes and candies.

In their cat beds

2022 First Snow

Kassie took Greyson swimming this week to the Rec Center and while he is more comfortable around the "big bucket" that has been his nemesis there for so long, he seems quite wary of it still. On Saturday Kassie and Addie met up with Abi and the Kay girls for some treats which sounded like a lot of fun. We enjoyed carving pumpkins when they got back! This year was the smoothest operation on that front than what we've had in a long while. Pretty exciting! We had some snow at the beginning of the week and everyone was nuts about that. Hard to believe we are entering November this week!

October 23, 2022

The kids finished up Fall Break on Monday and Kassie took them to Ninja Playground in Lehi. The boys were ecstatic and Addie wanted to go home early, though later she changed her mind about it. On Tuesday they were back in school and are now very deep into the Halloween spirit. Kassie was accepted to the UVU nursing program! It starts in January and though there are still many questions about how that would work we are moving forward with that as the plan for now. It is pretty exciting and a big accomplishment!

Ninja Playground

Draper Park climber

Halloween display in Lehi


On Wednesday I had a short work trip to Denver to meet my manager and another senior person on my team. It was really nice to meet people I work with in person and also go into one of the McKinsey offices. Friday night I took the kids camping at Utah Lake on the last warmish day/night for the foreseeable future. They had fun exploring, jumping on rocks, waving glow sticks, and eating dough boys. The next morning I achieved the remarkable feat of folding up the tent and getting it back into the tent bag on my first try. I do not exaggerate in saying that is one of my proudest moments in the last couple years haha. We got all packed up and out of the site just as it started to rain. Phew!

Sunset over Utah Lake with the campers

Sunrise over the Wasatch mountains

October 16, 2022

This week started off with Kassie surprising the kids on Monday with a trip to the Pumpkin patch. She checked them out of school in the early afternoon and they all had a great time there. Fall break started on Thursday and they have been busy making sugar cookies, attending birthday parties, a jump park, and friend movie night for Hinckley, and ... getting hair cuts. RIP Magical Mullet. After watching Tron Hinckley decided he would like to have hair like that of the main character, which thankfully is quite tame by our standards. He looks so grown up.

Surprise pumpkin patch outing

Pumpkin smiles

From Mullet Man to Tron Tech Dude


Halloween sugar cookies! (H ate his already)

Mini Beast Master course design

Another mini Beast Master course design


On Saturday I had a fun time taking the kids up American Fork canyon to hike amongst the brilliant leaves! It was so beautiful and all three kids were chatterboxes the whole time. We also went to a park where they could practice their "beastmaster" moves and we came home to watch The Ghost and Mr. Chicken as a family. We also did flu shots as a family which was memorable as always ha ha. Kassie ripped out most of the garden including some really big and funny looking sweet potatoes!

Hiking up AF canyon

At the trailhead with Timp as a backdrop


Kassie and I had a fun date in Provo this week going to India Palace and trying a unique place called Fish Kiss. So how it works is you go in and get your feet washed and then you stick them into a fish tank. The fish suck off the dead skin from your feet! It is supposed to be like a pedicure but done by fish. Apparently the owners discovered the concept while serving as missionaries in Indonesia, and they have places like this in other parts of the world. It was a pretty fun experience and felt funky. We walked around BYU campus a bit to see the new music building (it is huge!) and looked at some really modern art at the Art Museum. Kassie still hasn't heard from the UVU nursing program but should by the end of Tuesday so we aren't sure yet what we'll do on that front.

Fish Kiss 

Walking on campus with the famous fall-time sunlight

 
Things are going well at work for me as I am getting used to being in my new role. I got to volunteer as a co-facilitator for two 3 hour training sessions this week where we did a workshop for young professionals across the Middle East and Africa about Design Thinking and Agile problem solving which was really cool. There are so many neat opportunities available in this job and I'm very grateful to be here.


October 9, 2022

This week Hinckley finished his tennis lessons and we went out to celebrate at IHOP together. That was a hit for everyone and we realized we haven't gone to a sit down restaurant in many years as a family. We also had family pictures near Utah Lake and another week of the "family class" with UVU which was good. Hinckley went to a friend's birthday party while the rest of us went to a Halloween party at the library which the 2 youngers enjoyed quite a bit. The weather has been absolutely perfect this whole week and I got a few games of Pickleball in during my lunch breaks throughout the week including with Kassie on Wednesday which was lots of fun. The colors are coming out everywhere and the sun is just right. It is perfect. We got our decorations out and everyone was as excited as they usually are on Christmas morning.

Hinckley's plan to get ripped

Lehi Library Halloween party with "Anne" and a pirate boy

The first American Ninja Warrior experience

IHOP with the family

Family Lego time


Both Hinckley and Greyson are really fired about Beastmaster (show on Netflix) and American Ninja Warrior - both obstacle related shows where people jump from thing to thing in amazing physical feats. On Sunday night Hinckley wanted to look up the diet and exercise routine of the athletes and wrote a training plan out for himself. He seems to be slightly more open to the fact we are trying to help him (not poison him) by providing various nutritionally rich options to eat at mealtimes. A few days this week after I got off work I gave the kids some "exercises" to do in the backyard which they were all excited about. Hinckley and Greyson spent nearly 1.5 hours on Saturday practicing different exercises at two parks while I read in the shade and gave the occasional "Nice job!"

Addie celebrated the end of her soccer season with her team by having a pizza party. They played Red Rover, had "bridge" contents (make a bridge with your body, and other fun things. She seemed to really enjoy her soccer season and wants to do it again next year. She continues to draw and write lots of cute notes which she delivers in secret and end with "write back!"

Kassie had her UVU nursing program interview this week and has mixed feelings about it. Regardless it feels good to be done! She'll hear back by next week whether she got in or not. 

I've been thinking a lot about Fowler's stages of faith, the concept of Differentiation, and how it ties into some of the things I heard in conference and the reading from Isaiah this week. Lots of interesting things to consider, but what has me most interested is in how I can and am to apply it to how I approach my daily choices. I've been experimenting for the last month or so in giving myself a simple score for each day on things like "self-regulated myself today" and "was present today". That simple reflection has really helped me consider areas I need to repent in, or just adjust my environment and/or mindset too. I re-listened to Pres Nelson's talk about overcoming the world and what that means and saw a lot of great connections there too!

October 2, 2022
This week I was struck down with a stomach bug or food poisoning, a few other family members had hints of it as well including Addie throwing up in the middle of the night. Otherwise, the kids went to school, we enjoyed the general conference weekend and really loved the fall time weather.

Addie and the Snow Cheetahs - final game of the season



Celebrating Addie's soccer season with Chick-Fil-A

Preparing to go to Conference

Conference with Logan and Sadie

Seats with Williams and Kays

Ready for conference rolls

Conference bingo

Conference rolls

Addie had some friends over for a movie night late over on Friday night. It was quite the event! She had been drawing pictures and writing notes with excitement for a long time. Hinckley was happy by watching Star wars with me up in my office. And Greyson was okay with going to bed because he got some candy.

The eager count down visual

Friend movie night

Addie had her last soccer game of the season, and Hinckley has one more week of tennis. We hope you're all doing well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Diet

Life is good! Maybe our trials have changed our attitude or maybe things really have gotten better. Either way, 2014 is already looking happy, bright, and beautiful! Greg LOVES his new job. The environment is great and he likes all of his co-workers. Plus, he gets to make films for work! As a media arts major, it is pretty hard to land a job with a steady paycheck right out of college. This one just kind of fell into Greg's lap. The stark contrast between his previous job as a teacher and this one is like night and day. And believe me, the ripple effect of this has spilled over into our home; it's like a breath of fresh air! Hinckley has been very active lately and is already starting to assert his independence. He is 17 1/2 pounds and 28 inches tall. He just discovered how much he loves rolling over, so he does it all the time now. I think he would like to be running and on the move if he only knew how to do it! He also loves food. So far he has only eaten rice cereal

Almost There!

Tomorrow is our baby's due date! We don't think he will come tomorrow, but one never knows. Here are some pics from this week. School is going pretty well for me, though I transition to writing/reading from doing math for the past two weeks so I am a little nervous about that. The view from the bus just before I get off and start teaching for the day. Usually I am barely awake at this point.  Awesome panorama of our classroom. It has taken a lot of work to get all this stuff up, but it could still use lots more! Here is a view of the front of the classroom, along with our space ship behavior chart and so forth.  I decided to see what would happen if I didn't shave during the week This was the result.  Kas is feeling quite big, and ready for the man child to come out! This week Kas learned how to make homemade yogurt - or at least how to extend the yogurt you already have.  The latest creative masterpiece from Kassie is this little elep

TMA 185 3 minute film

The final product of "make me a match" that I labored over exceedingly. I was actually sort of unhappy with it all not because of the performances of anyone but mainly just the story. We had to write all so quickly and the re-write it time after time and then storyboard it and really break it down. In all this rush I didn't realize till I was actually shooting it that I really didn't care much for the story as a whole and thus my motivation suffered greatly. I don't think I need to tell epic dramatic tales to care about them but I do want to have a strong point and also a specific conflict or issue that is approached and resolved. I am starting a screen writing class tomorrow and possibly I will gain some insights as to how to develop good stories. Ones that I care about. I don't know why I feel so interested in telling stories - particularly in that I haven't felt very confident with the stories I have come up with. It is extremely hard for me to come up